Lt Col Alford is the Deputy Commander, Space Delta 4 (DEL 4), Buckley Space Force Base, Colorado. He supports an 800-person, total force, multi-national organization, operating three constellations of Overhead Persistent Infrared (OPIR) satellites and two types of Ground-Based Radars (GBRs). DEL 4 provides strategic and theater missile warning to Combatant Commanders. DEL 4 also performs missile defense, battlespace awareness, and technical intelligence missions in support of national security objectives.
Lt. Col. Alford is a 2003 graduate of the University of North Texas, where he also earned his commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps. He is a career space officer with assignments in missile warning, training, and as an instructor. His experience includes duties at the squadron, group, combatant command and Headquarters Air Force, and Headquarters Space Force levels.
Prior to his current assignment, he was the Commander, 12th Space Warning Squadron, responsible for strategic missile warning, missile defense, and space domain awareness.
2000 Bachelor of Arts, Foreign Language, Spanish, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
2003 Master of Science, Accounting, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
2008 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2010 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Master of Philosophy in Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. January 2004 – May 2004, Student, Officer Space Prerequisite Training, 392d Training Squadron and Perimeter Acquisition and Characterization System Initial Qualification Training, 533d Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
2. May 2004 – June 2006, Missile Warning Crew Commander, Instructor, Evaluator, 10th Space Warning Squadron, Cavalier Air Force Station, N.D.
3. June 2006 – February 2009, Chief, Missile Warning Training, 533d Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
4. February 2009 – February 2010, Chief, Space Plans, 607th Air and Space Operations Center, Osan AB, Republic of Korea.
5. February 2010 – April 2010, Student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. April 2010 – June 2012, Flight Commander, and USAF Weapons School Instructor, 328th Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. June 2012 – June 2013, Executive Officer, U.S. Air Force Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. June 2013 – July 2016, Deputy Chief, Functional Plans Branch, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
9. July 2016 – June 2017, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2017 – July 2018, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2018 – August 2019, Airpower Strategist, Headquarters AF/A3K (Checkmate), Pentagon, Va.
12. August 2019 – June 2020, Executive Officer, Office of the Vice Commander, U.S. Space Force, Pentagon, Va.
13. June 2020 – June 2021, Commander, 12th Space Warning Squadron, Thule Air Base, Greenland
14. June 2021 – Present, Deputy Commander, Space Delta 4, Buckley SFB, Colo.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2013 – July 2016, Deputy Chief, Functional Plans Branch, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a major
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 26, 2003
First Lieutenant Dec. 26, 2005
Captain Dec. 26, 2007
Major Dec. 1, 2013
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2018
(Current as of August 2021)