Colonel Brian C. Chellgren is the Vice Commander of the Buckley Garrison and the Commander of the 460th Mission Support Group, headquartered at Buckley Space Force Base, Colorado. As commander, he leads an 857-member team providing Base Operating Support to more than 800 military, Department of Defense civilians and contractor personnel serving at 14 operating locations world-wide, executing critical United States Space Force Missile Warning and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions. In addition, the Garrison hosts 6 wings (or equivalents) and 92 tenant organizations as well as supporting over 14,000 base personnel and a 98,000 retiree population. Colonel Chellgren received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of Minnesota-Duluth. He has served in his career as an executive officer, air weapons officer, deputy chief for an environmental sciences branch, commander’s action group chief, a detachment and squadron commander, deputy chief for the Air Force wargaming division, and deputy commander of a mission support group. He has deployed six times in support of Operations NORTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, FREEDOM’S SENTINEL, and RESOLUTE SUPPORT.
1998 Bachelor of Chemical Engineering, University of Minnesota-Duluth 1999 Air Battle Management School, Tyndall AFB, Fla. (Top Graduate)
2004 Masters of Business Administration in Human Resource Management, Touro University International, Cypress, Calif. (Summa Cum Laude)
2005 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I. 2012 Joint Professional Military Education Phase II, Norfolk, Va.
2018 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1.July 1998 – January 1999, Executive Officer, 912th Air Refueling Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
2.January 1999 – May 1999, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
3.May 1999 – February 2000, Student, Air Battle Manager Training, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
4.February 2000 – June 2001, Air Weapons Officer, 963rd Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
5.June 2001 – May 2003, Air Weapons Officer and Electronic Combat Officer, 960th AACS, Tinker AFB, Okla.
6.May 2003 – September 2003, Distributed Mission Training Functional Manager, 552nd OSS, Tinker AFB, Okla.
7.September 2003 – February 2006, Deputy Chief, Environmental Sciences Branch, and Chief, Chemical Evaluations Section, Materials Technology Directorate, AFTAC, Patrick AFB, Fla.
8.February 2006 – July 2007, Chief, Commander’s Action Group, AFTAC, Patrick AFB, Fla.
9.July 2007 – July 2009, Commander, Detachment 45, AFTAC, Buckley AFB, Colo.
10. August 2009 – June 2010, Student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Newport, R.I.
11. July 2010 – July 2013, Chief, Prompt Global Strike, and Chief Engineer, Nuclear Weapons Concepts and Requirements, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb.
12. July 2013 – June 2015, Commander, 349th Recruiting Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
13. July 2015 – June 2017, Deputy Chief, AF Wargaming Division, and Chief Scientist, Air Force Wargaming, HAF, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
14. July 2017 – June 2018, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
15. July 2018 – August 2019, Deputy Commander, 21st Mission Support Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. September 2019 – June 2020, Director of Staff, Headquarters United States Space Force, Peterson AFB, Colo.
17. July 2020 – January 2021, Commander, 460th Mission Support Group, Buckley AFB, Colo.
18. January 2021 – June 2021, Acting Commander, Buckley Garrison, Buckley AFB, Colo.
19. June 2021 – Present, Vice Commander, Buckley Garrison and Commander, 460th Mission Support Group, Buckley SFB, Colo.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
July 2010 – July 2013, Chief, Prompt Global Strike, and Chief Engineer, Nuclear Weapons Concepts and Requirements, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, Nebraska as a Major
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal Air Force Achievement Medal Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device Air Force Organizational Excellence Award National Defense Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal Global War on Terrorism Service Medal Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Special Duty Ribbon
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with Device NATO Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant First Lieutenant Captain
Lieutenant Colonel Colonel
May 23, 1998
June 22, 2000
June 22, 2002
April 1, 2008
September 1, 2013
October 1, 2019
(Current as of June 2021)