Summer surge to affect PCS moves
By John Spann, 460th Space Wing Public Affairs
/ Published April 14, 2011
BUCKLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Colo-- -- Summer time is just around the corner and that means it's also time to pack up and move on to your next duty assignment.
"Because of the potential for a surge of moves this summer, we're asking our customers to plan ahead," said Mr. Frank Jones, 460th Logistics Readiness Squadron. "To help lessen the challenges securing pack and pickup dates for household goods, we're asking customers to provide at least three weeks' notice of all shipments in the Defense Personal Property System (DPPS) and the Transportation Operational Property System (TOPS)."
Personal property counselors are requested:
* Ensure all customers obtain a DPPS user account
* Obtain alternate pack/pick updates from customers on all shipments
* Advise customers to call the Personal Property Office if they have not been contacted by Transportation Service Provider (TSP) 10 days prior to the first requested pack/pickup date
* Check DPPS and provide customers the Transportation Service Provider (TSP)'s name and contact information
* Instruct customers to contact Joint Personal Property Shipping Office/Personal Property Processing Office ( JPPSO/PPPO) if TSP refuses to service their shipment.
According to the American Press Service, last year the military moved over 230,000 shipments alone, with an anticipated additional 10,000 moves due to the base realignment and closure process. Buckley handled 1,400 moves last year.
"We are asking our customers here at Buckley to be patient and make sure they are working with their counselors," said Mr. Jones. If a person is planning a move they should call 720-847-6685 or stop by building 606, north end for assistance.
Also, according to the American Press Service, Military OneSource also offers families a host of online moving resources, including "Plan My Move," which features a moving calendar and travel and arrival checklists. Also, "Military Installations," which links families to information about their new base and local community.