TRICARE Retired Reserve: Health Care for Retirees
By Brian Smith, TriWest Healthcare Alliance
/ Published September 09, 2010
BUCKLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. -- Members of the Retired Reserves and their families have a new TRICARE healthcare option.
TRICARE Retired Reserve (TRR) is a new, premium-based healthcare plan available to eligible retired members of the Guard and Reserve, their families and qualified survivors. TRR offers coverage similar to TRICARE Standard for retirees, and includes a monthly premium, annual deductible, cost-shares and an annual catastrophic cap (cost information at triwest.com/ngr).
· Member-only or member-and-family coverage
· Coverage regardless of pre-existing conditions
· Access covered services from any TRICARE-authorized provider or hospital--no referrals are required.
· Access to TRICARE's prescription drug program
Eligibility is reflected in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) record. It is important to keep DEERS records updated for you and your family members.
Members of the Retired Reserve of a Reserve Component are eligible for TRR when they are:
· Not yet age 60
· Are qualified for non-regular retirement
· Not eligible for, or covered by, a Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program.
Eligible beneficiaries who lose other TRICARE eligibility can purchase TRR coverage within 30 days for continuous coverage. Otherwise, coverage can be purchased at any time to start on the first of the next month or the month after.
For coverage during October, November and December 2010, TRR monthly premiums are:
· $388.31 for Member-only coverage
· $976.41 for Member and family coverage
The monthly premium amount could change each year on January 1. Beginning Jan. 1, 2011, TRR coverage will be (each month):
· $408.01 for Member-only coverage
· $1,020.60 for Member and family coverage
Qualify for and purchase TRR coverage through the online Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) Reserve Component Purchase TRICARE Application:
· Go to https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/reservetricare.
· Log in using Department of Defense Self-Service Logon or Common Access Card (CAC).
· Choose "Purchase Coverage"
· Certify that you are not eligible for or enrolled in a FEHB program.
· Select a TRR start date and choose your coverage type
Print, sign and submit
· Print the Reserve Component Health Coverage Request form (DD 2896-1). The form will be filled out based on the information you entered.
· Sign the form and submit with payment covering two month's premium.
If paying initial premium by check, money order or cashier's check, mail to: TriWest Healthcare Alliance, PO Box 42030, Phoenix, AZ 85080-2030. If paying by credit card, fax to: 1-866-244-6596.
Ensure that your monthly premiums are paid on-time by signing up for one of the automatic electronic payment options through TriWest. See triwest.com/ngr for directions.
TRICARE Retired Reserve is healthcare coverage for "gray area" retirees and their families. Coverage will begin for eligible beneficiaries on Oct.1, 2010. You can find the latest benefit information, purchasing information and costs at triwest.com/ngr.