By , 460th Space Wing Public Affairs
/ Published November 02, 2009
BUCKLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. -- The Para to Teacher Preparation Program is for Airmen interested in teaching.
It's a partnership between the University of Colorado at Colordado Springs, Mountain West Troops to Teachers and four high-need local education agencies.
The purpose of PTPP is to enable highly-qualified paraprofessionals, including servicemembers, to become licensed teachers in high-need subject areas including math, science and special education. The program will assist with completion of a bachelor's degree and job placement.
Each student accepted into PTPP will receive:
- A full tuition stipend to complete a bachelor's degree at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. The tuition stipend is in addition to any funding received through the GI Bill, Post 9-11 GI Bill, tuition assistance or vocational rehabilitation allowing eligable military members to use Department of Defense funds for living expenses
- A mentor teacher to assist with professional development
- Continued counseling and up to $10,000 financial support through Mountain West Troops to Teachers
- Job placement assistance for participants not currently working as paraprofessionals
The eligability requirements are:
- A minimum of 60 semester hours froma regional accredited college or university
- At least four years of military service
- Currently working as a paraprofessional or substitute paraprofessional in a participating school district or willing to gain employment as a paraprofessional, substitute paraprofessional or intern paraprofessional in a participating school district
- Participating districts include Edison Schools 54JT, Miami-Yoder 60JT, Harrison District 2 and Fountain/Fort Carson District 8
- Willing to teach a high-need subject area including math, science or special education
For questions about eligibility or to apply for this program, please contact Bob Leonard, Mountain West Troops to Teachers, at 1-800-438-6851 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.