Come celebrate Earth and Arbor Days on Buckley
By Airman 1st Class Gabrielle Spradling, 460th Space Wing Public Affairs
/ Published April 15, 2016
BUCKLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. -- Frank Lloyd Wright once said "The best friend on earth of man is the tree. When we use the tree respectfully and economically, we have one of the greatest resources on earth."
On Buckley Air Force Base, the 46th annual Earth Day will be observed on April 22, while the 144th annual Arbor Day will be on April 29. The Air Force's Earth Day theme of "Conserve Today, Secure Tomorrow" pushes both military and civilians to commit to environmental stewardship.
"Earth Day and Arbor Day are great opportunities for Buckley AFB to inform the community about environmental issues," said Brett Hoffberger, 460th CES Cultural Resources manager. "We all share in the responsibility to be stewards of the environment for our generation and for future generations. Earth day provides a chance to examine how we impact the environment and learn ways to constantly improve and care for the places we live and work."
Earth Day, a concept by Senator Gaylord Nelson, was first celebrated in 1969 as a way to express concern for the environment. Arbor Day started in 1872 by J. Sterling Morton to repopulate his home state of Nebraska with trees.
"Buckley AFB will use Earth/Arbor Day events to promote and educate base personnel on such activities and on base specific environmental programs and initiatives that the Air Force has in place to promote sustainability and improve our environment," said Celiann Gonzalez Juarbe, 460th Civil Engineer Squadron environmental element chief.
Buckley will honor these days with events on April 21 with events including:
· At 11:30 a.m. in front of Bldg. 1030: tree planting ceremony including the Arbor Day Proclamation being read and signed by the 460th Space Wing commander or a representative
· 8-10 a.m. the area around The Exchange being cleaned up, volunteers welcome
· 8-10 a.m. CDC hosting environmentally "fun" activities for children including lady bug release, bubble bottles and coloring/reading activities
· 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the BX Food Court BAFB Environmental Programs informational booth
· 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Bldg. 1025: turn in old gas cans for new environmentally friendly gas cans
· All day, Bldg. 517: Extended hours at the Recycling Center
For any questions about Earth Day, please call 847-7245 and for Arbor Day tree planting please contact Buckley AFB's United States Fish and Wildlife Service biologist at 847-6937.