Safety office provides tips to survive the cold weather months
By Staff Sgt. Nicholas Rau, 460th Space Wing Public Affairs
/ Published November 01, 2013
BUCKLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. --
As the winter months rapidly approach, here are some tips for staying safe during the cold weather season.
Many winter safety situations fall into two separate categories: slips, trips and falls, and vehicle safety.
Slips, trips and falls can occur on ice, snow or uneven ground. They can occur without advance warning.
Here are some tips from the 460th Space Wing Safety Office to keep safe from injury:
- Mark any uneven surfaces with conspicuous cones, signs or tape to warn other people.
- In poor weather conditions, use salt on walkways, sidewalks and driveways to increase traction.
- Shovel all walkways, sidewalks and driveways immediately after a snowfall to prevent injuries.
- While using stairs, use the handrails for increased stability.
Vehicle safety can occur anytime someone drives during the winter months. Hazards can range from black ice to becoming stranded in a ditch, but it is all critical maintain awareness to keep safe.
Here are some tips from the safety office to keep safe in a vehicle:
- Get the vehicle serviced immediately.
- Place a winter vehicle kit in the vehicle. The kit should include items such as a blanket, flashlight, bottled water, snacks and other essential items.
- Before traveling, plan the route and know the weather during travel and at the destination.
- Clean all snow and ice from vehicle windows, lights, hood and roof of the vehicle.
- Use the wipers, headlights and defroster to increase visibility.
- Keep a full gas tank in case of becoming stranded.
- While driving in the snow, increase the normal following distance and stopping distance.
- Do not pass a snowplow or spreader unless it is absolutely necessary.
- Maintain control and steer steady and slow when on ice or snow. If skidding occurs on an icy road, don't slam on the brakes or jerk the wheel.
In case of snow or inclement weather on base, the Buckley Snow Line, 720-847-SNOW (7669), will be operational. The snow line provides callers with the most up-to-date information regarding base delays or closure. Information will also be available via the 460th SW Facebook page and Twitter feed @Buckley_AFB.
For more information about winter safety tips, contact the 460th SW Safety Office at 720-847-SAFE (7233).